Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Comic Books and Digital Culture

For my fictional book I am reading V for Vendetta by Alan Moore. It is based on an anarchist who uses anonymity to tear down a totalitarian regime and give rule of the people back to the people.

There are so many ways to weave this into digital culture, I've decided to make a short list of promising subjects:


  • How the internet is decentralized, or "run by the people"
  • How Anonymous is taking down "regimes," and at the same time literally using this graphic novels as one of its symbols
  • How the medium of comic books has shifted from a print culture to an online culture
  • Online comic books

My favorite topic to pursue is the second one. I think it's fascinating how Anonymous is against centralization or government of the internet, and they use Guy Fawkes masks to represent themselves in public. They are literally acting out much of what the graphic novel is about in a digital universe where physical actions are not possible. It blows my mind a little bit.

1 comment:

  1. I'm excited to read your blog, especially because I feel it will relate somewhat to what I studied about Thoreau and his "Civil Disobedience." I think your focus questions are great things to ask for mapping out your course of study and direction. We talked in class yesterday about how the opportunities and options for discussion regarding the Internet can seem overwhelming. I think that by valuing your four questions you wills be able to stay on track.

    ReplyDelete